This section will provide information around API’s and the Marketing Cloud Connector.
Objectives (Weight: 1%)
- Identify where to find information or help on APIs and the Marketing Cloud Connector
Marketing Cloud Connect
- It’s important to understand that Salesforce Sales and Service Cloud and marketing cloud are integrated
- With Marketing Cloud Connect, you can segment data with Salesforce reports, send emails through Sales and Service Cloud and view tracking in all 3 clouds
- Information on Marketing Cloud Connect can be found at help.exacttarget.com
- Information about API’s can be found at code.exacttarget.com
This section will focus on explaining email analytics terminology, analyzing individual email performance and will describe the reporting functionality and capabilities via scenarios.
Objectives (Weight: 7%)
- Explain email analytics terminology. Analyze individual email performance
- Given a scenario, describe the reporting functionality and capabilities
Analyze the Results
- Once an email has been sent, metrics on how the email performed are available
- The marketing cloud will provide metrics such as
- Unique clicks
- Total Opens
- Delivery Rate
- Opens – an open is recorded when images are rendered in an email
- Total Sent
- Unique Opens
Individual Email Tracking
- Individual email results are found in the Email application under Tracking
- For the exam, be familiar with the metrics on the Overview tab
- Export can be viewed in browser or emailed to an individual
- To find out what link received the most clicks or to find out who clicked a specific link, you would navigate to the Click Activity tab
- Jobs link tab is where you can edit links in a specific job
The Marketing Manager at NTO, Ted, wants to receive and analyze the Account Send Summary report data every Monday morning for the sends for the prior week. How can this be accomplished?
- Ted will need to create and save the Account Send Summary report definition to pull tracking data for the last 7 days
- Schedule the report to run every Monday morning and the results emailed to him
Sarah’s Team at NTO is responsible for the creation and deployment of several automated email campaigns; Birthday and Welcome Series. On a monthly basis Sarah would like to run the Campaign Email Tracking Report for each campaign to see how the emails are performing. Sarah would like to share the results with the team members. Sarah would like to automate the process and to be able to access past reports in order to compare the monthly results in order to determine if changes need to be made. How can this be accomplished?
- Sarah would want to create and save a Welcome Campaign Email Tracking report and Birthday Campaign Email Tracking report to pull information for the last 30 days
- Once each of the definitions has been saved, Sarah would schedule the report to run on the first day of the month and save the results as a report
- When you save as a report (Snapshot) the results will be saved in the Snapshot area for the report
This section will focus on segmentation and data relationships.
What are the two segmentation tools in the Email application?
- Drag & Drop Segmentation
- Can be either filtered or random
- Data Extensions
- Can be either filtered or random
- Measures – segment subscribers based on behavioural data
- Data Filters – saved rule on criteria or behavioural data
- Data Extensions
- SQL Query Activity
How can segments be refreshed?
What is the process for creating and automating the refreshing of segments?
- Create the Data Filter – define rules and conditions
- Create the Filter Activity – applies the data filter to filter the data extension or filter list
- Automate via Automation Studio – Refreshes the filtered data extension or filtered list
- The Query Activity is an activity to retrieve data extension or system data view information that matches your criteria
- System data view information contains behavioural data such as bounces or clicks
- Users SQL (Structured Query Language) to access data stored based on your criteria
- Eg: SELECT * FROM Subscribers WHERE Age > 40 OR Salary > 60000
- Results are placed in a results data extension.
- Remember: the results data extension must be created before defining and executing the Query Activity
NTO sends their newsletter to 1.5 million subscribers monthly. They are overstocked in mountain climbing equipment. They want to send a targeted email to newsletter subscribers who have purchased mountain climbing equipment in the last year and everyone who clicked on the Learn more about mountain climbing link in the last email. What tool in the Email application is the best tool to use?
Answer: Because there are 1.5 million subscribers and segmentation will be done on behavioural as well as subscriber data, the best tool is Query.
Northern Trail Outfitters wants to send a one time email to MyNTO members who clicked on the camping link in the last rewards email, are Silver, Gold or Platinum members and have made purchases of a tent in the last year. The data is located in multiple data extensions which a common field of Customer Number. The marketing team at NTO is non-technical. How can they create their segment?
Answer: NTO will begin by creating a data relationship between the data extensions. They will then create a measure to filter only subscribers who have clicked on the camping link. NTO will then create a data filter to combine the measure with the other filter criteria.
Enterprise 2.0 and Sharing
- Data Extensions
- Publication Lists
- Suppression Lists
This section discusses unsubscribes, and importing data into the Marketing Cloud.
Name the three types of unsubscribes
- Global Unsubscribe – an event that occurs when a subscriber chooses to unsubscribe from all emails sent from the Marketing Cloud
- Master Unsubscribe – an event that occurs when a subscriber chooses to unsubscribe from every email sent from a company
- List-Level Unsubscribe – a subscriber can choose to unsubscribe from a particular list from the subscription center. When using a data extension, publication lists can be used to keep track of subscribers who no longer want to receive the email any longer.
Joe’s Journey: How does it work?
NTO sends a newsletter to subscribers on the Newsletter list. Joe receives the email. Joe unsubscribes from the email via the Unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
Answer: Joe will have a status of unsubscribed on the newsletter list and his status in all subscribers will still be active.
What does this mean?
Joe will not receive another commercial email from NTO when the Newsletter list is used as the target audience. This includes any filtered groups that are created from the Newsletter list.
Enterprise Unsubscribing Scenario
- Parent has setup subscriber filters for each company
- Store BU has Unsubscribed from BU-only setting
- The Store BU uses data extensions to send and does a list-level unsubscribe
- Ted is a subscriber in the Store, and Online BU and therefore his email address will appear in the Parent, Company A, Store and Online
- Ted unsubscribes from all from the Store BU
Where will Ted’s status be changed?
Answer: Because the parent company setup each BU with the unsubscribe from BU only setting. Ted’s status will be unsubscribed from the Store BU only.
What are the three ways to import data?
- Import Wizard – step by step guide to import data
- Import Activity – definition which can be saved to be used again
- Via API – execute an import programmatically
NTO is collecting data on customers that abandon their cart. The data file is prepared on a nightly basis and will be used to send out emails for the following day. The marketing team would like to create and manage the abandon cart automation. What import method should be used?
Answer: The Import Activity
This section describes the differences between lists and data extensions and the settings of each. It also describes the profile center, and relationships between primary key, subscriber key, send relationships and subscribers.
Objectives (Weight: 42%)
- Compare and contract lists and data extensions, describe when to use them
- Describe profile attributes, including Preview Profile Center
- Given a scenario, describe the relationship between Subscriber Key, Primary Key, Send Relationship, and All Subscribers
- Given a scenario, describe the ramifications of various settings when creating a Data Extension
- Describe what happens when one unsubscribes from Lists vs. Data Extensions
- Describe the differences between a global unsubscribe and a master unsubscribe
- Explain how unsubscribe works in each Marketing Cloud Edition
- Identify the ways to import, including Import Wizard, API, and Import Activity
- Given a scenario, explain the optimal way to import data using the user interface vs. using the API
- Given a scenario, explain when to use tools to segment data
- Describe how to refresh segments manually vs. using automation
- Describe how to use behavioural data to segment data
- Explain how data relationships work and their use cases
- Explain sharing data across business units
What are some similarities and differences of Lists and Data Extensions?
- Can also use Simple Send
- Each has same attributes
- Subscriber key appears once on a list
- Use standard profile and subscription centers
- Data Extensions
- Other data
- Allows you to overwrite data
- Query to segment data
- Additional data types such as decimal, phone, locale, Boolean and email address
- Fields can be unique in every data extension
- A subscriber key can appear multiple times
- Common to both
- Subscriber data
- Import wizard
- Import activity
- Guided and User Initiated Send Methods
- Drag and Drop Segmentation
- Text, date, numeric data types
- Allows a subscriber to update their personal information
- When an attribute is created it will appear in the profile center unless marked as hidden
- When a list is made public, it will appear in the subscription center where a subscriber can subscribe or unsubscribe from a publication
What is a Primary Key?
- Determines whether the field is unique for the data extension
What is a Send Relationship?
- A send relationship defines a field in the sendable data extension to map to Subscriber Key in All Subscribers when sending
- All Subscribers table is the master database that contains the email address, master key, subscriber status
Which field in the data extension can be marked Primary Key?
Answer: In this data extension, no field can be marked as the primary key because the data in each of the columns repeats.
Can this data extension be used for sending?
Answer: Yes. Since the data contains customerID which is the subscriber ID, the customerID will be mapped to the Subscriber ID in the All Subscribers table.
Data Extension Scenario
Sally from the NTO Marketing Department is creating an Import Activity to add and update data in the Abandon Cart Data Extension. However the only Update Type that is appearing is overwrite. Sally needs to be able to add and update. What does Sally need to do?
Answer: Sally will need to mark a field in the data extension as a Primary key
This section will focus on the various automation tools and their use in the Email Application
Objectives (Weight: 5%)
- Given a scenario, explain which automation tool to use
- Describe the capabilities of Automation Studio
What are the four automation tools and what do they do?
- Playbooks are step-by-step guides for executing digital marketing campaigns throughout the customer life-cycle
- Simplify your life-cycle marketing efforts
- Deliver the right content at the right time
- Create campaigns easily with a step-by-step wizard
- There are three playbooks available:
- Welcome Series
- Birthday Email
- Customer Anniversary
- Triggered Emails
- A triggered email is a message sent to an individual from an event that happened outside the Marketing Cloud
- Shipping Notice
- Purchase Confirmation
- Abandon Shopping Cart
- Welcome Email
- Journey Builder
- Journey Builder is an intuitive one to one marketing engine that allows you to build real-time messages across online and offline channels based on actual customer behaviour
- Journey Builder can be used to plan, personalize, and optimize any customer life-cycle program
- API: Application Program Interface
- Source code based specifications in order for one computer application to talk to another application
- Automation Studio is a drag-and-drop interface which allows you to define a workflow and establish the schedule for the automation of various activities
Name the two types of automations within Automation Studio
- Scheduled Automation
- Use a scheduled automation when you want your automation to start based on a schedule you define, or when you want to run an automation once
- Triggered Automation
- Use a triggered automation when you want your automation to start based on the event of a file being dropped onto your designated enhanced FTP folder
Name four activities that can be automated and explain what the activities can do
- Data Extract
- Gives you the ability to export tracking information or data from a data extension. This activity also allows you to transform an XML file into a comma delimited, tab delimited or pipe delimited file for you to import into Email application
- Applies the data filter to a list or a data extension and places the results in a filtered list or filtered data extensions
- Import File
- Defines the parameters for data to be brought into the Email application
- Refresh Group
- Applies criteria to a list to create a subset of subscribers. The subset is called a Group
- Report Definition
- SMS Activity
- SQL Query
- Takes the SQL statement and applies it to the specified data extension. The records meeting the criteria are placed in a results data extension
- Send Email
- Allows you to choose a User Initiated Email definition to execute or allows you to define the parameters for the send using the Send Activity
- Transfer File
- Allows you to de-encrypt or unzip a file or to take that file that has been extracted and place it on the FTP location
- Allows you to wait for a specific duration or until a specific time before performing the next step
Name three repeat options when defining a schedule
- A scheduled automation can repeat:
- None (run once)
When can a scheduled automation end?
- The options for when a scheduled automation can end are:
- After a certain amount of occurrences
- On date
- The activity tab in automation studio shows the health of the automation as well as when then the automation has run
NTO wants to automate the importing of an encrypted file. What would the workflow be?
A) Step 1: Import Activity – Step 2: Data Extract
B) Step 1: Transfer File and Import Activity
C) Step 1: Transfer File – Step 2: Import Activity
D) Step 1: Data Extract – Transfer File
Correct Answer: C
The Marketing Department at NTO wants to send automated emails to notify subscribers when items on their wish list are on sale. The data required for segmentation resides in two data extensions; Wish List and On Sale and will be updated nightly. There are over 1 million records in the Wish List data extension. Emails will be sent at 9:00 a.m. the next morning. What is the workflow for the automation?
The automation workflow would kick off nightly and import the data. Once the data was imported the segment would be refreshed using the query activity. The automation would then be paused until 9:00 a.m. at which time the emails will be sent.
This section will discuss how to create an email in the Email Application. Will also focus on the tools used to construct an email message, various ways to customize an email message, and email send methods.
Objectives (Weight: 18%)
- Explain various ways to customize an email messages
- Given a scenario, identify the optimal ways to customize an email message
- Describe the available tools to construct email messages
- Explain the differences between Simple Send, Guided Send, and User-Initiated Send Definition
- Given a scenario, identify the appropriate send method
- Describe various send capabilities in the Email application
- Describe how Send Classifications, Delivery Profiles, and Sender Profiles are used
Name 3 types of content blocks you can create in the Email application
When you build a Content Block, you can choose one of the following:
- Text + Image
- Freeform – this block can contain anything
- HTML / Guided Template Language
- Dynamic Content – allows you to display difference individualized content based on what you know about the subscriber
- A/B Testing Content
- Predictive Intelligence Content
Name one way to individualize the content of an email
There are three ways to individualize the content of an email:
- Personalization Strings
- Dynamic Content
- AMPScript Guided Template Language
Name the three ways to create an email
- Use this option to create a new email from an existing template
- Templates must be created first
- You can choose any template from Portfolio
- Paste HTML
- Use this option to paste in HTML for your message body
- Generally HTML is created in an outside editor and pasted into the email application
- This option does not use a Template
- Text Only
- Use this option to create a text only email
- No HTML will be created or sent, regardless of the subscriber’s preference
Ways to Send an Email
- Guided Send
- A multi-screen wizard that takes you through the steps needed to send an email
- Simple Send
- Basic one-page send screen that allows you to easily send to a group or list
- User-Initiated Email
- A one-page send screen that allows you to easily and quickly set the parameters to send an email. The User-Initiated Email can be automated.
NTO wants to send to a list. What send method can be used?
NTO is using data extensions. They want to send to one, and exclude a few recipients. What send method should be used?
What send method uses Send Classifications?
- Simple Send, Guided Send, and User Initiated Email
- Send Classification lets you define parameters for an email job in a central location and reuse those parameters for multiple email send definitions
- When creating a send classification, you specify the following information:
- Sender Profile (From Name, From Address)
- Delivery Profile (IP address, header, footer)