This section describes the differences between lists and data extensions and the settings of each. It also describes the profile center, and relationships between primary key, subscriber key, send relationships and subscribers.
Objectives (Weight: 42%)
- Compare and contract lists and data extensions, describe when to use them
- Describe profile attributes, including Preview Profile Center
- Given a scenario, describe the relationship between Subscriber Key, Primary Key, Send Relationship, and All Subscribers
- Given a scenario, describe the ramifications of various settings when creating a Data Extension
- Describe what happens when one unsubscribes from Lists vs. Data Extensions
- Describe the differences between a global unsubscribe and a master unsubscribe
- Explain how unsubscribe works in each Marketing Cloud Edition
- Identify the ways to import, including Import Wizard, API, and Import Activity
- Given a scenario, explain the optimal way to import data using the user interface vs. using the API
- Given a scenario, explain when to use tools to segment data
- Describe how to refresh segments manually vs. using automation
- Describe how to use behavioural data to segment data
- Explain how data relationships work and their use cases
- Explain sharing data across business units
What are some similarities and differences of Lists and Data Extensions?
- Can also use Simple Send
- Each has same attributes
- Subscriber key appears once on a list
- Use standard profile and subscription centers
- Data Extensions
- Other data
- Allows you to overwrite data
- Query to segment data
- Additional data types such as decimal, phone, locale, Boolean and email address
- Fields can be unique in every data extension
- A subscriber key can appear multiple times
- Common to both
- Subscriber data
- Import wizard
- Import activity
- Guided and User Initiated Send Methods
- Drag and Drop Segmentation
- Text, date, numeric data types
- Allows a subscriber to update their personal information
- When an attribute is created it will appear in the profile center unless marked as hidden
- When a list is made public, it will appear in the subscription center where a subscriber can subscribe or unsubscribe from a publication
What is a Primary Key?
- Determines whether the field is unique for the data extension
What is a Send Relationship?
- A send relationship defines a field in the sendable data extension to map to Subscriber Key in All Subscribers when sending
- All Subscribers table is the master database that contains the email address, master key, subscriber status
Which field in the data extension can be marked Primary Key?
Answer: In this data extension, no field can be marked as the primary key because the data in each of the columns repeats.
Can this data extension be used for sending?
Answer: Yes. Since the data contains customerID which is the subscriber ID, the customerID will be mapped to the Subscriber ID in the All Subscribers table.
Data Extension Scenario
Sally from the NTO Marketing Department is creating an Import Activity to add and update data in the Abandon Cart Data Extension. However the only Update Type that is appearing is overwrite. Sally needs to be able to add and update. What does Sally need to do?
Answer: Sally will need to mark a field in the data extension as a Primary key